Somebody please tell me which software testing certifications are worth taking?
Here are a few software testing certificates that can help boost your growth in the testing field.
1) Institute: QAI ( Quality Assurance Institute – Florida – USA)
Certification: CAST – Certified Associate In Software Testing
Eligibility: One of the below:
- 3 Year or 4 Year degree from an accredited college
- 2 Year degree in college with 1 year of experience.
- 3 Year experience in IT. Fee: $100
How to Apply: To apply for the CAST certification candidates must first login to their Customer Portal account. If new to the Portal then need to create one by clicking on the Register Now link, and then the Register as a New User tab.
How to Prepare: Once you register and pay the fee, you would receive the ” Software Testing Body of Knowledge (STBOK) for CAST (367 pages) book. That should be sufficient to prepare for the exam.
Exam Format: 100 multiple choice questions in 75 minutes time
2) Institute: ISTQB (International software testing qualification board)
Certification: ISTQB – Foundation Level
Fee: Rs 4500 – India (Approx.), US $250 – For USA
How to apply: Connect with your National or Regional Board for information on Exam Providers, exam dates, applicable fees and booking information.
If there are more than 10 candidates from the same company for the exam, then the exam can be conducted in the company by ITB.
How to Prepare: Click here to get the study material.
Recommended: We have 100% sure pass study guide on ISTQB foundation level exam. It contains 800+ practice questions, 200+ premium questions, and many eBooks based on ISTQB exam syllabus. If you are interested in getting this study guide please check this page. It’s a premium study guide.
Exam Format: 40 multiple choice question in 60 minutes
Level #2 – Intermediate (5 – 8 Years’ Experience)
#1) Institute: QAI ( Quality Assurance Institute – Florida – USA)
Certification: CSTE – (Certified Software Test Engineer)
Eligibility: One of the below:
- A 4-year degree from accredited college-level institution & 2 years’ experience in the information services field
- A 3-year degree from accredited college-level institution & 3 years’ experience in the information services field
- A 2-year degree from accredited college-level institution & 4 years’ experience in the information services field
- Six years’ experience in the information services field AND
Are working, or have worked at any time within the prior 18 months, in the field within covered by the certification designation.
Fee: $350 – Includes fee and pdf format book; $420 – Includes fee, Book, and CD
How to apply: To apply for the CSTE certification candidates must first login to their Customer Portal account. If new to the Portal then need to create one by clicking on the Register Now link, and then the Register as a New User tab.
How to Prepare: CBOK (Common Body of Knowledge) book is sufficient to prepare for the exam. Read the book thoroughly and take up some mock tests available on internet to prepare for the exam.
Exam Format: Exam is divided into 2 parts: 100 Multiple choice questions in 75 minutes; 12 essay type questions in 75 minutes.
Pass%: 70% which is average of both the parts.
#2) Institute: HP
Certification: HP HP0-M102 for UFT version 12.0
Fee: $350 approx.
How to apply: You need to have HP Learner ID.
Create an account with PearsonVUE. Once you submit the form, you need to schedule your exam through Schedule Proctored Exam link. You would find the details of the cost and language of the exam and need to select date, time and up to 3 centers to give the exam.
How to Prepare: Self-study, practice and taking up the mock exam.
Exam Format: Total 69 questions of multiple choice, drag-and-drop, and point and click
Level #3 – Advance Level (8 – 11 Years Experience) – If Aspiring for a Test Architect kind of a role
Institute: ISTQB (International software testing qualification board)
Certification: ISTQB – Advanced Level – Test Analyst, ISTQB – Advanced Level – Technical test Analyst
Eligibility: Foundation level certification/score card. AND
Any one from below:
- For Degree holders in computer science or related fields, you need 24 months of testing experience if you want to take 2 sub modules and 36 months of experience is mandatory if you want to take all the three sub modules.
- For non-bachelor degree in computer science, 60 months of experience Fee: India – Rs-4500 approx. for each of the sub paper; USA- $250 for each of the sub paper
How to apply: You need to find your exam provider and freshly enroll yourself in the ISTQB site for the advance module. The enrollment is same as that for the foundation level.
Click here to download the syllabus for Test Analyst Click here to download the syllabus for Technical Test Analyst Link to register: For Indian board register here or go through this link. Check these links for US board and For UK board.
How to Prepare: Study material + self-study and knowledge gained through experience would all combine to prepare for the exam
Exam Format: Total 65 multiple choice questions in 180 minutes. For Technical test Analyst – Total 45 multiple choice questions in 120 minutes.