Can someone please explain functional testing with example?
What is Functional Testing?
Functional testing is a type of testing which verifies that each function of the software application operates in conformance with the requirement specification. This testing mainly involves black box testing and it is not concerned about the source code of the application.
Each and every functionality of the system is tested by providing appropriate input, verifying the output and comparing the actual results with the expected results. This testing involves checking of User Interface, APIs, Database, security, client/ server applications and functionality of the Application Under Test. The testing can be done either manually or using automation
What do you test in Functional Testing?
The prime objective of Functional testing is checking the functionalities of the software system. It mainly concentrates on -
- Mainline functions: Testing the main functions of an application
- Basic Usability: It involves basic usability testing of the system. It checks whether an user can freely navigate through the screens without any difficulties.
- Accessibility: Checks the accessibility of the system for the user
- Error Conditions: Usage of testing techniques to check for error conditions. It checks whether suitable error messages are displayed.
- Functional Testing Process: In order to functionally test an application, following steps must be observed.
If you want to perform function functional testing across different platforms, you can use LambdaTest. It offers 2000+ browsers to perform your testing.
Hope this helps!