Most Used Git Commands | LambdaTest

Hello everyone! :tada:

Ready to level up your Git skills? Check out our latest video on Basic Git Commands! :film_projector::wrench: Perfect for beginners and a great refresher for seasoned developers.

#GitCommands #GitBasics #VersionControl #Coding #DeveloperTips

Here are some of the essential Git commands that I frequently use to manage my projects efficiently:

• git init: Initializes a new Git repository.
  • git clone: Creates a copy of an existing repository.
  • git add: Stages changes for commit.
  • git commit: Commits staged changes with a message.
  • git push: Pushes local changes to a remote repository.
  • git pull: Fetches and integrates changes from a remote repository.
  • git status: Shows the current state of the repository.
  • git branch: Manages branches.
  • git checkout: Switches branches or restores files.
  • git merge: Merges branches together.

These commands have been instrumental in keeping my projects organized and streamlined.

From my own workflow, here’s how I use Git commands to manage projects effectively:

Initialization and Cloning:

• git init: Start a new repository. It’s the first step to begin version control.
  • git clone: Copy an existing repository. I often use this to get a local copy of a project I’m collaborating on.

Staging and Committing:

• git add: Stage files for commit. This prepares my changes to be saved.
  • git commit: Save changes to the repository. It’s like taking a snapshot of my project at a certain point in time.

Syncing with Remote:

• git push: Upload changes to a remote repository. This is crucial for sharing updates with my team.
  • git pull: Fetch and merge changes from a remote repository. It keeps my local repository up-to-date with the latest changes from others.

Branching and Merging:

• git branch: Create or list branches. I use this to work on different features or fixes without affecting the main codebase.
  • git checkout: Switch between branches. It allows me to move seamlessly between different lines of work.
  • git merge: Combine changes from different branches. This integrates my work with the main project.

Status and Inspection:

• git status: View current changes. It’s my go-to command to see what’s been modified.
  • git log: View commit history. This helps me track the progress and changes made over time.

Using these commands has become second nature, helping me keep projects organized and collaborative.

I believe, Git has been invaluable in managing projects effectively. Here’s how I use these commands in real-world scenarios:

Starting a New Project:

• git init: I use this command when I start a new project and want to create a repository in the project directory. It sets up everything I need to begin version control.

Collaborating on a Project:

• git clone: Cloning a repository lets me start working on an existing project with my team. It’s the first step to get the project onto my local machine.
  • git pull: I regularly pull updates from the remote repository to stay up-to-date with my team’s changes. This ensures I’m always working with the latest version of the code.

Making Changes:

• git add: After making changes to files, I stage those changes with git add before committing. It’s like preparing my changes for the next snapshot.
  • git commit: Committing changes with a descriptive message using git commit -m "Your message here" helps keep the project history clear and understandable.

Sharing Your Work:

• git push: Pushing commits to the remote repository makes my latest changes available to others, ensuring everyone has access to the most recent updates.

Branching and Merging:

• git branch new-feature: Creating a new branch for a feature I’m working on allows me to develop in isolation without affecting the main codebase.
  • git checkout new-feature: Switching to my new feature branch lets me focus on developing the feature independently.
  • git merge new-feature: Once the feature is complete, merging my branch back into the main branch integrates my work with the rest of the project.

These commands have become second nature, making my workflow smooth and collaborative.