Key features of WebdriverIO Waits | LambdaTest

Hey there! :rocket:

Check out this video to learn the key features of WebdriverIO waits. Don’t miss these essential tips for mastering WebdriverIO! :movie_camera::sparkles:

#WebdriverIO #AutomationTesting #TechTips

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Informative !

1 Like

When I started working with web automation, I quickly realized the importance of using different types of waits to handle dynamic web pages. Here’s a quick overview of the three main types of waits I use in my projects:

Implicit Waits

• Global Timeout: This applies to all element searches, making it a handy default setting to ensure your tests don’t fail due to elements not being immediately available.

• Usage:

browser.setTimeout({ implicit: 10000 });

Explicit Waits Condition-Specific: These waits are perfect when you need to wait for specific conditions like an element’s visibility or clickability. They give you more control over your tests.

Usage:

const element = $('#some-element');
element.waitForDisplayed({ timeout: 5000 });
element.waitForClickable({ timeout: 5000 });

Custom Waits Custom Logic: Sometimes, you need to wait for custom conditions that go beyond the standard options. This is where custom waits shine, allowing you to define exactly what you’re waiting for.

Usage:

browser.waitUntil(() => {
    return $('#some-element').getText() === 'Expected Text';
}, {
    timeout: 10000,
    timeoutMsg: 'expected text to be different after 10s'
});

In my experience, mastering these waits has significantly improved the reliability and robustness of my automated tests. I hope you find these examples as useful as I have!

WebdriverIO supports testing across different browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer.

capabilities: [{
    browserName: 'chrome'
}, {
    browserName: 'firefox'
}]

Integration with Test Frameworks : Seamless Integration: Easily integrates with popular test frameworks like Mocha, Jasmine, and Cucumber.

framework: 'mocha',
mochaOpts: {
    ui: 'bdd',
    timeout: 60000
}

Page Object Pattern : Maintainable Code: Supports the Page Object Model (POM) for better code organization and maintainability.

class LoginPage {
    get username() { return $('#username'); }
    get password() { return $('#password'); }
    get submit() { return $('#submit'); }

login (username, password) {
        this.username.setValue(username);
        this.password.setValue(password);
        this.submit.click();
    }
}

Advanced Selectors: Variety of Selectors: Supports advanced selectors like CSS, Xpath, link text, and custom selectors.

const element = $('div.classname');  // CSS Selector
const element = $('//div[@class="classname"]');  // Xpath Selector

In my experience, WebdriverIO waits are essential for ensuring reliable and stable automated tests by managing timing issues effectively.

Key Features of WebdriverIO Waits:

Implicit Waits: WebdriverIO can be configured to wait for a certain amount of time for elements to appear before throwing an error. This is useful for ensuring that elements are available before interacting with them.

Example:

browser.setTimeout({ 'implicit': 5000 });

Explicit Waits: WebdriverIO allows for explicit waits using commands like waitForExist, waitForDisplayed, waitForEnabled, etc. These waits are used to pause the test execution until a specific condition is met.

Example:

const element = $('#elementId');
element.waitForExist({ timeout: 5000 });

Custom Waits: You can create custom wait commands to wait for specific conditions that are not covered by built-in waits. This allows for greater flexibility in managing complex test scenarios.

Example:

browser.waitUntil(() => {
    return $('#elementId').isDisplayed();
}, {
    timeout: 5000,
    timeoutMsg: 'Element was not displayed after 5s'
});

Fluent Waits: WebdriverIO supports chaining of wait commands, which allows for a more readable and concise syntax when waiting for multiple conditions.

Example:

$('#elementId')
    .waitForExist()
    .waitForDisplayed()
    .waitForEnabled();

These wait features in WebdriverIO provide robust mechanisms to manage the timing issues in automated tests, ensuring your tests are stable and less prone to failures due to timing issues.