Is there an issue with my Puppeteer code for clicking a button selector, as presented below, and is there a memory leak occurring?

Am I having a problem performing a click action on a selector using Puppeteer, Below is my code trying to click button also there is memory leak happing. your suggestions will be appreciated.

const puppeteer = require(‘puppeteer’);

(async () => { const browser = await puppeteer.launch({ headless: false, defaultViewport: null, args: [‘–start-maximized’] })

const page = await browser.newPage()
await page.goto('https://www.nike.com/')

const winner = await Promise.race([
    page.waitForSelector('[data-path="join or login"]'),
    page.waitForSelector('[data-path="sign in"]')
])

await page.click(winner._remoteObject.description)

})()

Hi Matt,

I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for providing the Puppeteer code snippet, and I appreciate your efforts in addressing potential memory issues and improving the button-clicking functionality. Below is the revised code along with an explanation of the changes made:

(async () => { let browser; try { browser = await puppeteer.launch({ headless: false, defaultViewport: null, args: [‘–start-maximized’] });

const page = await browser.newPage();
    await page.goto('https://www.nike.com/');

// Use a more specific selector directly in page.click
    await page.click('[data-path="join or login"], [data-path="sign in"]');

// Give the page some time to process the click event
    await page.waitForTimeout(1000);

} catch (error) {
    console.error('Error occurred:', error);
} finally {
    // Close the browser to avoid potential memory issues
    if (browser) {
        await browser.close();
    }
}

})();

Hi Matt,

I trust this message finds you well. I am writing in response to your query regarding the usage of { waitUntil: 'networkidle0' } with the page.goto function in Puppeteer,

You need to use { waitUntil: ‘networkidle0’ } with page.goto

This tells the puppeteer to wait for the network to be idle (no requests for 500ms). const puppeteer = require(‘puppeteer’);

(async () => { const browser = await puppeteer.launch({ headless: false, defaultViewport: null, args: [‘–start-maximized’] })

const page = await browser.newPage()

// load the nike.com page and wait for it to fully load (inc A/B scripts)
await page.goto('https://www.nike.com/', { waitUntil: 'networkidle0' })

// select whichever element appears first
var el = await page.waitForSelector('[data-path="join or login"], [data-path="sign in"]', { timeout: 1000 })

// execute click
await page.click(el._remoteObject.description)

})()

Hi MattD,

I appreciate your diligence in reviewing the code for A/B testing on our website. I have made some crucial modifications to enhance the reliability and flexibility of the automation script. Let me walk you through the changes:

They are A/B testing their website, so you may land on a page with very different selectors than you received while you visited the site from your own Chrome browser.

using XPath with contains method to grab elements by text content:

(async () => { let browser; try { browser = await puppeteer.launch({ headless: false, defaultViewport: null, args: [‘–start-maximized’] });

const page = await browser.newPage();
    await page.goto('https://www.nike.com/');

// Detect both button versions using XPath and contains method
    const winner = await Promise.race([
        page.waitForXPath('//span[contains(text(), "Sign In")]'),
        page.waitForXPath('//span[contains(text(), "Join or Login")]')
    ]);

// Extract the selector from JSHandle@node
    const selector = await page.evaluate(el => el._remoteObject.description, winner);

// Click on the detected button
    await page.click(selector);

// Give the page some time to process the click event
    await page.waitForTimeout(1000);

} catch (error) {
    console.error('Error occurred:', error);
} finally {
    // Close the browser to avoid potential memory issues
    if (browser) {
        await browser.close();
    }
}

})(); The changes made to your code are:

1. Using XPath with contains: Modified page.waitForXPath to use XPath with contains method to grab elements by their text content, which is more robust in the context of A/B testing.

2. Extracted selector from JSHandle@node: Used page.evaluate to extract the selector from JSHandle@node, allowing for more flexibility in clicking the detected button.

3. Added a small delay after the click: Introduced await page.waitForTimeout(1000) to give the page some time to process the click event.