I am getting a git error that says failed to push some refs to remote, can anyone help

I am getting a git error that says failed to push some refs to remote, can anyone help.

Hello Sakshi,

If the GitHub repository has received new commits since your last synchronization, it’s advisable to use the following commands to update your local repository before pushing your changes:

git pull --rebase origin main
git push origin main

With Git 2.6 and later, you can simplify the process by setting some configuration options:

git config --global pull.rebase true
git config --global rebase.autoStash true

This way, a simple git pull will suffice to rebase your local commits on top of the updated origin/main branch. Similarly, for pushing your changes and establishing a tracking relationship with the upstream branch, you can use:

git push -u origin main

With Git 2.37 and later, you can set a global option to automate the setup of the remote tracking branch, making subsequent pushes even easier:

git config --global push.autoSetupRemote true
git push

Overall, these commands help ensure that your local repository is up to date with the remote repository and establish the necessary tracking relationships for easier future pushes.

Hello Sakshi,

You can try resolving the issue with a force push using the following Git command:

git push -f origin master

However, it’s important to note that force pushing should be used with caution. It is safe to use for the initial commit, but if there are already commits, pull requests, or branches in the repository’s history, force pushing will reset all of them to zero.

Hello Sakshi,

I encountered the same issue when trying to push to a Git repository without making any commits, not even an initial one. To resolve this, I used the following command:

git commit -m "your message"

After committing my changes, I was able to push to the repository without any issues.