How can Playwright's global timeout for missing selectors be adjusted?

How to globally define/change timeout if an element/selector is not found in Playwright?

Basically, I want the playwright to wait for each element 5 seconds if the element is not found. Below is the code i have use but seems not to be working

await page.waitForSelector(‘h1’, { timeout: 5000 });

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Anusha,

I trust this message reaches you in good health. I aim to furnish further details in response to your query about configuring the default timeout for element waiting in Playwright JS, utilizing the setDefaultTimeout function.

In Playwright JS, you can globally define or change the timeout for waiting for an element/selector using the setDefaultTimeout function. This function sets the default timeout for all the Playwright’s actions, including waiting for elements to be present.

Here’s an example of how you can use setDefaultTimeout: const { setDefaultTimeout, webkit } = require(‘playwright’);

// Set a global timeout for waiting for elements to be present setDefaultTimeout(5000); // Set timeout to 5 seconds

(async () => { const browser = await webkit.launch(); const page = await browser.newPage();

// Now, all subsequent Playwright actions will wait up to 5 seconds for elements to be present

// Example usage await page.goto(‘https://example.com’); await page.click(‘button’); // Playwright will wait for the button to be present with the defined timeout

await browser.close(); })(); In the above example, setDefaultTimeout(5000) sets the default timeout to 5 seconds. This means that if an element is not found within 5 seconds, the Playwright will throw a timeout error.

Hi Anusha,

I hope this email finds you well. In response to your query regarding setting timeouts for various methods in Playwright JS, I’d like to provide you with a comprehensive overview.

To set timeouts for various methods in Playwright JS, you can use browserContext.setDefaultTimeout(timeout). It’s slightly preferable to the “page” equivalent as it applies globally to the entire browser context.

For navigations, you can use browserContext.setDefaultNavigationTimeout(timeout), which takes precedence over the broader setting.

When using the Playwright Test Runner, you can set timeouts globally for entire tests by creating a playwright.config.js file. Here’s a simplified example:

// playwright.config.js module.exports = { // Each test is given 30 seconds timeout: 30000,

use: { // Configure browser and context here }, };

This configuration sets a timeout of 30 seconds for each test. For more details and advanced configurations, you can refer to the Playwright Test Runner documentation. ( https://playwright.dev/docs/test-intro#use-test-hooks)