Effective Cypress cy.intercept() for Stubbing API Requests

How do I ensure that my Cypress cy.intercept() setup correctly stubs API requests?

Ensuring that your Cypress cy.intercept() setup correctly stubs API requests is crucial for reliable testing. One important step is to verify the route alias and usage. Make sure that the alias used in your test matches the one specified in cy.intercept(). Additionally, using cy.wait() can ensure that the interception is set up before making any assertions based on the stubbed response. Here’s an example:

cy.intercept('GET', '/api/data', { fixture: 'example.json' }).as('getData');

cy.visit('/my-page');

cy.wait('@getData');

// Make assertions based on the stubbed response

This way, you can ensure that the interception is properly set up and your tests are reliable.

Another important aspect to consider is checking the request path and method specified in cy.intercept(). It’s essential to double-check that they match the actual API request being made by your application. This ensures that the interception targets the correct requests. For instance:

cy.intercept('POST', '/api/data', { statusCode: 200, body: 'stubbed response' });

By verifying the request path and method, you can ensure the accuracy of your interception setup.

Correctly handling the response options is also crucial for effective stubbing with cy.intercept(). Ensure that you use the appropriate options for response handling, such as providing a fixture file or a static response object. Here’s an example:

cy.intercept('GET', '/api/data', { fixture: 'example.json' }).as('getData');

By using the correct response handling options, you can ensure that your stubbed responses behave as expected during testing. Also, remember to verify the path to the Firefox executable if you’re running tests in headless mode to avoid any unexpected issues.