Discussion on Testing Strategies for Micro-Frontends by Ioannis Papadakis | Testμ 2023

Join Ioannis Papadakis - Director QA at GWI, and learn how to perform integration and e2e testing in Micro-Frontends (aka MFE) architecture with Cypress, RTL, Vite & React. :desktop_computer:

Still not registered? Hurry up and grab your free tickets: Register Now!

If you have already registered and up for the session, feel free to post your questions in the thread below. :point_down:

Following are some of the Q&As from the attendees:

Could you share insights on how testing strategies must adapt to handle cross-component interaction challenges, ensuring compatibility and maintaining a practical user experience across different micro-frontends?

Ioannis: Certainly! Testing strategies for micro-frontends must evolve to address the intricacies of cross-component interactions. As micro-frontends comprise multiple smaller units, ensuring seamless compatibility and user experience is essential.

Could you elaborate on effective approaches for end-to-end testing? Specifically, how do you address challenges like data sharing, UI integration, and synchronization between micro-frontends to provide a comprehensive testing framework?

Ioannis: Effective end-to-end testing involves careful planning of test scenarios and leveraging automation for consistent results. Challenges like data sharing, UI integration, and synchronization between micro-frontends can be addressed by using mock data, UI testing tools, wait for mechanisms, and API verification. Running tests in parallel, ensuring realistic environments, and integrating testing into development pipelines are essential. Error handling, feedback incorporation, and detailed documentation further enhance testing quality, enabling comprehensive identification and resolution of issues.

Here some of the unanswered questions from the attendees.

How do you assess legacy applications transitioning to micro front-end architecture?

What role does manual testing play in your MFE testing strategy?

What is your opinion on k6 browser for front-end performance testing?

What is micro frontend?

What is the best tool for micro frontend?

What are the future challenges for micro-frontends?

What are some best practices for isolating performance issues when working with micro front ends?

What about testing MFEs in a straight to production workflow?

How does one MFE interact with another?

If we follow the test pyramid for an application, we will have a few UI tests. Would we benefit from investing in a separate test strategy for micro frontends?

In relation to E2E testing of micro frontends, do you have to deal with Frames/iFrames in Cypress? Any issues you’ve encountered while dealing with Frames? Any suggestions for a workaround?

How does the MFE architecture impact testing strategies, especially when it comes to integration and e2e testing?

How do you handle discrepancies or gaps when combining code coverage metrics from different tools like RTL and Cypress?

Hi there,

If you couldn’t catch the session live, don’t worry! You can watch the recording here:

Additionally, we’ve got you covered with a detailed session blog:

Hey,

Being an active participant in this session, I would like to share my opinion on and address your query on behalf of the speaker.

Assessing the transition of legacy applications to a micro frontend architecture involves several key steps:

1. Inventory and Analysis
  2. Micro Frontend Readiness
  3. Breakdown into Modules
  4. Technology Stack Selection
  5. Migration Strategy
  6. Testing and Validation
  7. Deployment and CI/CD
  8. Monitoring and Performance
  9. Team Skills and Training
  10. Documentation.
  11. User Feedback.
  12. Maintenance and Scalability
  13. Security
  14. Rollback Strategy
  15. Cost-Benefit Analysis

Hope this gives you an overview of it.

Hello,

I’m here as an engaged attendee of this session to provide my insights and respond to your question on behalf of the speaker.

While automated testing is fundamental for efficiency and repeatability in MFE testing, manual testing remains a crucial part of the strategy. It helps ensure a comprehensive assessment of user experience, usability, and other aspects requiring human judgment and exploration. The balance between manual and automated testing should be determined based on the specific needs and complexities of the MFE application.

Hope this gives you a clear idea of MFE testing.

Hey,

Being an active participant in this session, I’m honored to offer my viewpoint and answer your query on behalf of the speaker.

k6 is primarily known as a load testing tool designed for performance testing from the backend perspective. It’s particularly well-regarded for its simplicity, scripting flexibility, and the ability to create realistic load scenarios for API and server testing. However, k6 does have a k6-browser module that extends its capabilities to some front-end performance testing, specifically focusing on client-side performance metrics.

This is my opinion on the k6 browser, Hope this answers your query.