Discussion on My Crafting Project Became Critical Infrastructure by Elizabeth Zagroba | Testμ 2023

Join Elizabeth Zagroba at Testμ 2023 as she shares her journey of transforming a simple Python script into an indispensable solution.

:rocket: Explore how a crafty Python script went from solving one problem to revolutionizing release processes.

Still not registered? Hurry up and grab your free tickets: Register Now!

If you have already registered and up for the session, feel free to post your questions in the thread below :point_down:

Below are some of the Q&As from the session:

Before crafting a project, before turning into critical infrastructure, how well have you planned and executed the crafting project, and what are the impact and professional challenges you’re working on?

Elizabeth: Before crafting projects became crucial for me and my team’s work, the planning and execution were about making something useful and showing it to others. The team was supposed to share what we created, but not everyone did.As for the impact and challenges, while I couldn’t point to a specific problem solved by a crafting project, sharing those projects made more people recognize and know about my work. Talking about those projects and sharing my code made others aware of what she did in the company.

Can you shed more light on how you manage deadlines for smaller parts or modules of your project in your overall journey?

Elizabeth: I didn’t manage strict deadlines for different project parts. It was more about working on it when I had time. Sometimes, I get interrupted by urgent tasks. I kept project management away from my main work-tracking tool so that I could work comfortably without too much pressure. This approach helps me work on the project over a long period without rushing. There might be more structure in the future, but as of now, I enjoy the flexibility.

What role did writing tests play in reshaping and refactoring the code base? Answer:

Elizabeth: Writing tests played a big role in improving the code and my motivation towards maintaining the project. Tests allow me to make changes and to stay confident that they worked. Testing is crucial – don’t skip it unless you enjoy many manual checks. Writing tests forced me to organize the code better, breaking it into smaller pieces. This project likely saved me and my team a lot of time, potentially cutting down on work hours each week. The time saved could translate to significant cost reduction, although I haven’t measured it precisely.

Now, here are some of the questions that were unanswered!

How did your crafting project evolve into becoming a critical part of the infrastructure, and what challenges were faced during this transformation?

What motivated you to start building the small Python script initially and the challenges you faced that led you to this solution?

What motivates you to write the scripts in Python?

Knowing what you do now, have you identified similar situations with employees you manage that you could provide guidance to in your role as a manager?

Hi there,

If you couldn’t catch the session live, don’t worry! You can watch the recording here:

Additionally, we’ve got you covered with a detailed session blog:

Hi,

As this being an interactive session there are some learning points, having said that i would like to address your query.

The transformation of a crafting project into a critical infrastructure component involves:

1. Identifying a need.
  2. Starting with a proof of concept (PoC).
  3. Iterative development and expansion.
  4. Integration and compatibility testing.
  5. Ensuring scalability, performance, security, and compliance.
  6. Ongoing maintenance and updates.
  7. User adoption and training.
  8. Cost management.
  9. Documentation and knowledge transfer.
  10. Change management.
  11. Continuous monitoring and optimization.

Challenges may arise in each phase, from integration issues to security concerns and user adoption challenges.

Hi,

General perspective on common motivations and challenges in software development:

Motivations for Starting a Python Script:

1. Automation: Many developers create Python scripts to automate repetitive tasks, such as data processing, file manipulation, or system maintenance.

2. Problem Solving: Python is known for its simplicity and versatility, making it a popular choice for solving various technical challenges.

3. Prototype Development: Python is often used for rapid prototyping and proof of concept development due to its ease of use and a wide range of libraries.

4. Customization: Python scripts can be tailored to specific needs, allowing developers to create custom solutions for unique problems.

5. Integration: Python’s extensive library support makes it suitable for integrating with existing systems and technologies.

Challenges Encountered in Script Development.There can be a lot of challenges you might face, but some of them which I faced based on my learning path :

1. Learning Curve: Newcomers may face challenges grasping Python’s syntax and best practices.

2. Bug Fixing: Debugging can be tricky, especially as script complexity grows.

3. Performance Optimization: Ensuring efficient handling of large datasets can be demanding.

4. Integration Complexity: Integrating with diverse systems and data formats may be difficult.

5. Maintainability: Adapting the script to changing requirements and dependencies can be challenging.

6. Security: Safeguarding against vulnerabilities and unauthorized access is crucial but complex.

7. Documentation: Creating comprehensive documentation aids future maintenance but can be time-consuming.

8. Testing: Developing effective test cases, especially for complex logic, can be challenging.

9. Deployment: Ensuring correct functionality across various platforms can be non-trivial.

10. Scaling: Handling increased loads or data volumes may require complex scaling solutions.

Hope this motivates you to start building the small Python script. Happy learning. :slight_smile:

Hi,

As an engaged member of this session, I’m here to offer insights on behalf of the speaker. As a human, we all need a kick start which starts with a small motivation, let me share you thoughts on this query.

Motivations for Starting a Python Script:

1. Automation: Many developers create Python scripts to automate repetitive tasks, such as data processing, file manipulation, or system maintenance.

2. Problem-Solving: Python is known for its simplicity and versatility, making it a popular choice for solving various technical challenges.

3. Prototype Development: Python is often used for rapid prototyping and proof of concept development due to its ease of use and a wide range of libraries.

4. Customization: Python scripts can be tailored to specific needs, allowing developers to create custom solutions for unique problems.

5. Integration: Python’s extensive library support makes it suitable for integrating with existing systems and technologies.

Hey, I would like to put myself in the speaker’s place to answer this query.

Yes, from a managerial standpoint, they believe it is their responsibility to prioritize product quality and support their employees through various situations. They aim to offer guidance based on their learning and experience, sharing valuable strategies acquired through both mistakes and trials.