Appium is used primarily for testing Native, Hybrid, or Web applications in mobile devices (iOS or Android), in which Selenium is the most popular tool for automated testing of desktop web apps.
Benefits of appium testing:
- Automates Various Types of Mobile Apps.
- Does not require App Code Recompilation.
- Allows Testers to Use Real Devices, Emulators, and Simulators.
- Enables Testers to Automate Apps without Adding Extra Components.
- Provides a Record and Playback Tool.
- Facilitates Test Execution without Server Machines.
Selenium is used for both web and mobile applications and it is having web drivers for web applications.
- Benefits of selenium testing:
- Platform Portability
- Open Source Advantage
- Flexibility and efficiency
- Language Support
Both provide different benefits, one has to go for the one which works best for their needs. A great platform for appium and selenium mobile app testing is QAppAssure by MOZARK. You can test on-cloud and on-field devices, across 100+ devices, make and models, Integrate with Jira, CI/CD tools and also use Appium, Calabash, Espresso, UIAutomator, XCUITest.