LambdaTest Community

Find answers, support, and inspiration from other users

Questions
LambdaTest Community
Answered

What makes software testing difficult?

Can anyone please tell me what makes software testing difficult.

Up Vote Down Vote 0 Votes
Posted 3 months ago

Answers

Software Testing is not that hard as people think it would be. I am mentioning some points that dictates whether it’s hard or not.

1. Despite incomplete or poorly written requirements documents, test cases should have screen-level steps (e.g., click the X button) and expected results that are visible on screen (e.g., landing page and exact message instead of just "transaction should be successful"). Business analysts can get stressed that testers ask too much detail because "some details are too simple and straightforward to be documented". I would say: If something is simple enough, then it should be simple enough to be documented!

2. Despite an incomplete requirements document (Some requirements are passed verbally and informally), the test coverage should be complete. If there is a production defect, the first question (particularly in a blame-based culture) is why the tester missed testing it -- not why the programmer introduced a defect or why it is not clearly documented in the requirements.

3. Despite the late deployment of the code, test execution should still meet the deadline. There are inconsiderate project managers who refuse to respect the validity of test planning.

4. The rest of the project team is too optimistic that they don't want to hear the bad news that a poorly implemented software doesn't match poorly documented requirements. This creates friction at work and the test team is at the middle of the battlefield.

5. Due to the combination of all of the above, mismanaged projects normally require too many build iterations (without sanctions to the team behind the root cause) and this contributes to psychological stress of having to do the same thing all over again.

Experience comes from personal practice. So I would suggest you to have a look how actual testing is performed. Visit LambdaTest for all your queries related to testing.

Up Vote Down Vote 0 Votes
Posted 3 months ago