LambdaTest Community

Find answers, support, and inspiration from other users

Questions
LambdaTest Community
Answered

What are Selenium locators in WebDriverIO?

Help me with Selenium locators in WebDriverIO.

Up Vote Down Vote 0 Votes
Posted 3 months ago

Answers

If you’ve come here looking for the perfect, unbreakable locator, then I’m afraid to tell you that there is no perfect locator. That HTML changes and locators become incompatible are realities of writing automated UI tests. You’ll have to get used to updating them as the development teams experiment with design, streamline HTML and fix bugs as long as your web app is evolving. Maintaining locators must be calculated as part of the cost of test maintenance.

However, the good news is that there is a difference between a good and poorly written locator. That means if you’re smart about your locators you can reduce the cost of maintenance and focus your time on more important tasks than debugging false negative results.

On the other hand, a failing locator is a good thing so don’t be afraid of it. The trusty No Such Element Exception, rather than an assertion failure, is often your first sign that there is a regression in your software.

In this guide I will assume that you know how to write a locator already and are familiar with the construction and syntax of CSS and Xpath locators. From here on we’ll dig into the differences between a good and bad locator in the context of writing Selenium tests.

IDs are king!

IDs are the safest locator option and should always be your first choice. By W3C standards, it should be unique in the page meaning you will never have a problem with finding more than one element matching the locator.

The ID is also independent of the element type and location in the tree and thus if the developer moves the element or changes its type WebDriver can still locate it.

IDs are often also used in the web page’s JavaScript so a developer will avoid changing an element’s ID to avoid having to change his JavaScript. That’s great for us testers!

If you have flexible developers or even an eye for the app source code you can always try and get extra IDs added into the code by buying them a beer on Friday evening, taking their sister on a date or just plain begging. However, sometimes adding IDs everywhere is impractical or not viable so we need to use CSS or Xpath locators.

CSS and Xpath locators

CSS and Xpath locators are conceptually very similar so I’ve put them together for this discussion.

These types of locators with combinations of tag name, descendant elements, CSS class or element attribute makes the matching pattern strict or loose, strict meaning that small HTML changes will invalidate it and lose meaning that it might match more than one HTML element.

When writing a CSS or Xpath locator it’s all about finding the balance between strict and loose; durable enough to work with HTML changes and strict enough to fail when the app fails

Up Vote Down Vote 0 Votes
Posted 3 months ago