If cost-effectiveness is the prime concern then it is better —
To build in-house robust solution and host than to use external solution Use in premise licences/ setup and host on your cloud and organize in a way that meets the cost-effectiveness criteria. AWS Device Farm comes with a free trial of 1000 device minutes.* After that, customers are charged $0.17 per device minute. As your testing needs grow, you can opt for an unmetered testing plan, which allows unlimited testing for a flat monthly fee of $250 per device.
Amazon EC2 is free to try. AWS Free Tier includes 750 hours of Linux and Windows t2.micro instances each month for one year. To stay within the Free Tier, use only EC2 Micro instances.
There are four ways to pay for Amazon EC2 instances:
- Reserved Instances
- Spot Instances (Amazon EC2 Spot instances allow you to request spare Amazon EC2 computing capacity for up to 90% off the On-Demand price)
- You can also pay for Dedicated Hosts which provide you with EC2 instance capacity on physical servers dedicated for your use.
Spot instances are recommended for:
- Applications that have flexible start and end times
- Applications that are only feasible at very low compute prices
- Users with urgent computing needs for large amounts of additional capacity
Amazon EMR pricing is simple and predictable: you pay a per-second rate for every second you use, with a one-minute minimum. For example, a 10-node cluster running for 10 hours costs the same as a 100-node cluster running for 1 hour. The hourly rate depends on the instance type used (e.g. standard, high cpu, high memory, high storage, etc), and billing is calculated down to the second and shows time in decimal form. Hourly prices range from $0.011/hour to $0.27/hour ($94/year to $2367/year).
AWS Device Farm -> ~ $0.17 per device minute
Amazon EC2 Spot Instances -> ~ $0.17/hour (for 4 browsers which needs to be installed and maintained)
Amazon EMR -> ~ $0.011/hour to $0.27/hour (for 4 * 10 nodes = 40 browsers which needs to be installed and maintained)
Either way is to invest in engineering or pay money and have strong solution partners with better SLA’s.