LambdaTest Community

Find answers, support, and inspiration from other users

Questions
LambdaTest Community
Answered

I am C# developer and want to run my Selenium script written in C# to automate my web functional testing. Which automation testing tool will be of help?

I am C# developer and i want to run my Selenium script written in C# to automate my web functional testing, can anyone please suggest me any automation testing tool will be of help.

Up Vote Down Vote 0 Votes
Posted 4 months ago

Answers

Functional and regression testing are the most common tests applying automation. I have tried these 2 tools to automate my web functional testing in C#. Both of them don’t require much programming skills from beginners, but also highly recommended for advanced test scripts. Here I share my experience without bias, hopefully it may help you.

Unified Functional Testing (UFT) is probably the most popular commercial tool for functional test automation.

Pros:

• Mature, comprehensive automated testing features integrated into a single system.
  • Able to test applications under Windows desktop, Web, Mobile apps, API/Web services.
  • A comparatively large and dedicated user community.
  • Basic programming skills to get started with test creation and execution
  • Quick script creation time.
  • Built-in object repository, smart object detection and correction, image-based object recognition
  • Many DevOps/ALM integrations and CI/CD tools integrated (like Jenkins, HP Quality Center)

Cons:

• Costly solution: license and maintenance fees are significantly expensive.
  • Possibly high costs for upgrades and additional modules.
  • Only VBScript is used
  • Only Windows testing development platform.
  • No inclusive test analytics tool The other tool I’m using is Katalon Studio. It supports functional testing of web-based applications in a wide range of browsers and platforms.

Pros:

• Freemium model which means there are free and licensed versions. I found the free version is enough to try out functional testing and evaluate results without problems.
  • No maintenance fees required (paid dedicated support services is available if needed).
  • Able to test applications under Windows desktop, Web, Mobile apps, API/Web services across platforms.
  • Quick test cases creation and execution time.
  • Built-in object repository, XPath, object re-identification
  • Built on top of the Selenium framework but eliminating the need for advanced programming skills required for Selenium.
  • Many DevOps/ALM integrations and CI/CD tools integrated (like Jenkins, CircleCI, TeamCity)
  • Katalon TestOps shows all visual charts, graphs, and metrics to easily evaluate test quality.
  • Able to migrate scripts from Selenium/TestNG/JUnit and re-migrate back easily in C# as you required (in Java, Python, Robot Framework, Ruby languages). So you can fix and reuse the existing Selenium tests after automation in Katalon.

Cons:

• The feature set is still evolving, so maybe it still can’t cover some advanced requirements.
  • Lack of choices for scripting languages: only Java/Groovy is supported
Up Vote Down Vote 0 Votes
Posted 2 months ago