Functional and regression testing are the most common tests applying automation. I have tried these 2 tools to automate my web functional testing in C#. Both of them don’t require much programming skills from beginners, but also highly recommended for advanced test scripts. Here I share my experience without bias, hopefully it may help you.
Unified Functional Testing (UFT) is probably the most popular commercial tool for functional test automation.
- Mature, comprehensive automated testing features integrated into a single system.
- Able to test applications under Windows desktop, Web, Mobile apps, API/Web services.
- A comparatively large and dedicated user community.
- Basic programming skills to get started with test creation and execution
- Quick script creation time.
- Built-in object repository, smart object detection and correction, image-based object recognition
- Many DevOps/ALM integrations and CI/CD tools integrated (like Jenkins, HP Quality Center)
- Costly solution: license and maintenance fees are significantly expensive.
- Possibly high costs for upgrades and additional modules.
- Only VBScript is used
- Only Windows testing development platform.
- No inclusive test analytics tool The other tool I’m using is Katalon Studio. It supports functional testing of web-based applications in a wide range of browsers and platforms.
- Freemium model which means there are free and licensed versions. I found the free version is enough to try out functional testing and evaluate results without problems.
- No maintenance fees required (paid dedicated support services is available if needed).
- Able to test applications under Windows desktop, Web, Mobile apps, API/Web services across platforms.
- Quick test cases creation and execution time.
- Built-in object repository, XPath, object re-identification
- Built on top of the Selenium framework but eliminating the need for advanced programming skills required for Selenium.
- Many DevOps/ALM integrations and CI/CD tools integrated (like Jenkins, CircleCI, TeamCity)
- Katalon TestOps shows all visual charts, graphs, and metrics to easily evaluate test quality.
- Able to migrate scripts from Selenium/TestNG/JUnit and re-migrate back easily in C# as you required (in Java, Python, Robot Framework, Ruby languages). So you can fix and reuse the existing Selenium tests after automation in Katalon.
- The feature set is still evolving, so maybe it still can’t cover some advanced requirements.
- Lack of choices for scripting languages: only Java/Groovy is supported