LambdaTest Community

Find answers, support, and inspiration from other users

Questions
LambdaTest Community
Answered

What are the common challenges a software tester may face while performing mobile testing?

Can anyone please lidt out some of the common challenges a software tester may face while performing mobile testing.

Up Vote Down Vote 0 Votes
Posted 4 months ago

Answers

Mobile device testing faces a lot of conventional thinking due to which those people who are already testing their website on the cloud, step back when it comes to testing the same website on mobile devices. Although they cannot be blamed, a lot of challenges are faced while testing mobile devices because of the variety of mobile devices available in the market. Let’s see these challenges and how do they affect the thinking and browser compatibility testing process onto mobile devices.

Responsiveness:

Responsiveness is the ability of the website to adjust its web page according to the size of the screen. So, if I am having a 5.1-inch mobile phone then also I will see the exact same thing in the exact same way as I would see on my 7.4 inch tablet. Responsiveness plays a key role in designing your website since a huge part of the user comes from a mobile device. This happens because today the mediums for sharing anything, such as your website link, is through mobile applications such as WhatsApp or Twitter, etc. Nobody is going to see the link on the mobile and then open it on the desktop. Nobody will take the effort of opening your website on the desktop after seeing your website is not rendered properly on the mobile device.

The below image has been taken from Appeonix which shows how a web page looks like when i) Unresponsive(left) and ii) Responsive(right)

Frustrating, isn’t it? This is the reason responsiveness is considered one of the major milestones in developing your website. So, developers perform browser compatibility testing in order to check their responsiveness on multiple browsers and operating systems.

JavaScript Engines

A website runs on JavaScript. JavaScript code is executed by the JavaScript engines which are already present inside the browsers. JavaScript engine is required in converting the JavaScript code to the lower level machine code for its execution. But the platform plays a vital role. If you are opening your website on a desktop browser and executing your JavaScript code in that, you get a lot of options. Whereas, if you are working on the mobile browser, the JavaScript engine is not so strong. This leaves us with very few options, and we need to apply JavaScript accordingly and carefully.

So you can ensure that your website renders JavaScript as seamlessly for mobile browsers running on mobile devices, as it does for desktop ones.

Memory Constraints

A desktop user enjoys the benefit of using memory as he likes and devotes as much memory to a single process as he wants. Considering my own system, as you can see, Google Chrome is eating up to approximately 2,469MB of memory. Look at the other processes and how much they are consuming.

This freedom cannot be enjoyed in a mobile device. Since mobile devices run too many processes on a comparatively smaller memory, the memory is allocated by the CPU carefully. This leads to a hanging system allocating less memory to the processes that require more memory and ultimately every process is unsatisfied leading to a very less efficient system. Cross browser testing cloud help you out in such cases. Since you have to select the specifications of the mobile and the browser and then run the website on it, you will notice the latency yourself during the test. This will help you optimize the website for mobile before launching it on the internet.

Original Source: Most Common Challenges Faced In Mobile Testing

Up Vote Down Vote 0 Votes
Posted 4 months ago