Here are some tools that would help you to automate UI testing for web pages:
- Selenium Selenium is the household name when it comes to test automation. It is considered the industry standard for user interface automation testing of Web applications. Almost nine out of ten testers are using or have ever used Selenium in their projects, according to Survey on Test Automation Challenges.
For developers and testers who have experience and skills in programming and scripting, Selenium offers flexibility that is unseen in many other test automation tools and frameworks. Users can write test scripts in many differents languages (such as Java, Groovy, Python, C#, PHP, Ruby, and Perl) that run on multiple system environments (Windows, Mac, Linux) and browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Headless browsers).
To use Selenium effectively, users have to possess advanced programming skills and need to spend considerable time to build automation frameworks and libraries necessary for automation. This is a main disadvantage of Selenium, which is addressed in integrated tools like Katalon Studio.
2. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a powerful and comprehensive automation solution for testing API, Web, and mobile apps. It has a rich feature set for these types of testing and supports multiple platforms including Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Leveraging Selenium and Appium engines, Katalon Studio provides a uniquely integrated environment for testers who find difficulties in integrating and deploying different frameworks and libraries to use Selenium and Appium, as well as those who are already familiar with these engines.
Katalon Studio has an intelligent test recording capability that generates resilient and maintainable locators, allowing test scripts to work even when the application under test is changed. Highlights of the tool include:
- A complete feature set for test automation of API/Web services, Web, and mobile applications
- Katalon Studio supports both SOAP and RESTful for API and services testing
- Hundreds of built-in keywords for creating test cases
- Support BDD Cucumber to express test scenario in natural languages
- Can be used for both automated and exploratory testing
- Suitable for both pros and non-techies
UFT is a popular commercial tool to test desktop, Web, and mobile application. It has been extended to include a good set of capabilities for API testing. By supporting multiple platforms for the target application under test (AUT), UFT provides a convenient choice to test the AUT that operates on desktop, Web, and mobile.
UFT provides several advanced capabilities for smart object detection, image-based object detection, and correction.
Several highlights of the tool that support API testing:
- Intuitive user interface for creating, executing, and reporting API tests
- Support generating API tests from WADL documents
- Tests’ actions, activities, and parameters can be visualized in diagrams
License: From $3,200 per year.
Like UFT, TestComplete has an object recognition engine that can accurately detect dynamic user interface elements. This engine is especially useful in applications that have dynamic and frequently changing user interfaces.
Testers can easily use TestComplete’s record and playback feature, like Katalon Studio. They can insert checkpoints into test steps to verify results. As a product of SmartBear, TestComplete can be integrated easily with other products offered by SmartBear.
License: From $2,399 per user per year
SoapUI is not a test automation tool for Web or mobile app testing; but it can be a tool of choice to test API and services. It is a headless functional testing tool specifically designed for API testing.
SoapUI supports both REST and SOAP services. API automation testers can use either the open-source or pro version. The pro edition has a user-friendly interface and several advanced features such as assertion wizard, form editor, and SQL query builder. SoapUI is a tool of ReadyAPI suite, offered by SmartBear.
The tool provides a quite comprehensive feature set for API testing with many advanced capabilities, including:
- Generating tests easily using drag and drop, point-and-click
- Powerful data-driven testing with data from files and databases
- Asynchronous testing
- Scripts can be reused easily
- Creating mock services with RESTful mocking
License: SoapUI is packaged and distributed in two editions, open source and Pro. The latter starts at $659 per year.
Please note that SoapUI and Postman are two representatives of several top API testing tools in this list only.