Advantages of Code Coverage
- Provides the effectiveness of your test code and how you can improve the coverage
- Irrespective of the type of tool being used (open-source, premium), setting up a code coverage tool should not take much time.
- Helps in improving the code quality by capturing bugs in the code.
Shortcomings of Code Coverage
- Majority of code coverage tools are limited to unit testing.
- The methodology used by tools could be different hence; you may not be able to compare code coverage results of one tool to another.
- Searching for the best-suited tool could be a big task as you need to compare & try features from those tools before selecting the best one that suits your project requirements.
- There are very few tools that provide support for different programming languages e.g. Java, Python, C, etc. Hence, you may need to have more than one tool in case your team is using multiple programming languages (for test code development).